Our Buffalo, Ox, Ram, Sheep, Yak HORN COMBS are just perfect for your hair or that messy beard :)! Hand carved from real animal horns and then coated and shined. All our Ox Horn Combs are made one at a time and since each piece of animal horn is different there may be slight tone and color differences, sometimes even cool features like scuffs, splits, divots or rings. We wanted to create a quality comb made from animal horns that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. We try and keep our designs simple, rustic and functional. The more hours we spend carving the Mona Lisa into the comb the more we would have to charge you :) So with that in mind we design and make classic style combs that are affordable for everyone!
NEW TO HORN COMBS?? Here are a few reasons to use them, there is many more :)
1. THE END OF STATIC ELECTRICITY! Unlike plastic combs, the horn comb does not trap electric charges. The air around you in contact with your hair produces static electricity all day long. Combing your hair with a horn comb helps balance the hair's electrical charge. Some movie studios use horn combs because the result is impeccable. Some people find that this property even helps to remove stress.
2. THE COMB GOES THROUGH HAIR BETTER! The horn has the same molecular nature as hair. It does not cling to its surface (unlike plastic) and facilitates untangling. The horn comb glides through the hair, without weakening it.
3. SHINER HAIR! A horn comb smooths the hair and closes its scales. A comb or brush made of plastic would attack the hair, tear its micro-particles, and destroy the cuticle. With a horn comb, the cuticle is intact and reflects the light. The hair is shinier.
4. HEALTHIER HAIR! The keratin of the comb helps to close the cuticle scales. The hair scales, once closed, are more resistant to external aggressions from pollution, physical assaults related to sunlight, weather, temperature or humidity. Hair is less greasy, and less dehydrated.
5. IT'S GREEN! Horn is a natural, renewable and fully biodegradable material. The residues from the manufacturing process are used to make buttons or are crushed into powder and used as natural fertilizer by farmers and local gardeners. Grinding is natural, using a mixture of pumice and water. Combs are polished mechanically with a cloth. The manufacturing process does not use any solvent.
Your wood combs should require little care over the years. They can be wiped clean with damp cloth if they become dirty. You can make your comb last a lifetime by wiping a few times a year with oil (coconut, jojoba, almond etc..).
HORN combs can also be wiped cleaned & oiled with lanolin when needed.
All our custom animal hair brushes are made to last and they should require little care over the years. Oil build up is great but if it gets stinky, you can rinse and wash them a couple times a year with a mild shampoo and air dry if needed. Do not soak in water or alcohol. Some shedding is normal when new.